Back Ground

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Holiday Shopping...Something I will never forget

Ok, I know you guys have either been shopping the day after Thanksgiving or at least know what a BIG deal it is in this country. It is the biggest shopping day in America. It is a tradition in our family. We would eat on Thursday and then the guys would go hunting and we would go shopping the day after. This year was not going to be any different except the EGG BOWL was moved to Friday, which was a huge conflict of interest in my book. The choices were shopping or Egg bowl. Now, for most of you the choice was crystal clear "Egg Bowl" hands down, but you do not know my mother and "the tradition." It is something you have to experience to believe. And besides, it is much more fun to get all your shopping done with company in one day than to shop by yourself for several. I really do not like shopping anyway (unless Lindsey and Hailey are there to make me buy cute clothes).

The day started out fine; the night before we stayed up until about 1:00 am mapping out our route. We had a list of what we wanted to get everybody and which stores carried those items. The alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. (that is not a typo). My mother and I thought that it would be better to get to Wal-Mart before the sale started to get what we needed there and boy did we call it. We arrived at 4:30 and our goal was to get out of there before 5. My mother kept telling me to hurry because we needed to get out of there but I did not understand until I heard the noise of what sounded like elephants coming at me. I looked up at my mother and said what the "BEEP" is that and she said "Angie, it is 5:00 and we need to get out of here!" It truly was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. People were climbing on boxes, buggies, and people all to fulfill their children's dreams of Christmas. We made it through it and we left at 5:15 and continued on to our next stop. The rest of the day was filled with making memories with my mother. We went to Belk (the mall too), Lowes, Michael's, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

At 1:15 we raced home to watch the end of the game and to take a nap. We had already heard that we were down 14 -0 at the half. After getting settled, we turned on the TV to watch the rest of the game. By the fourth quarter, we were still losing and I could barely hold my eyes open. I just knew if I fell asleep I would not miss much, so I did. Well, we know the rest of the story our Dogs won and I finished my shopping all in one day. Aren't the holidays GREAT!

No comments: